Chicago is Definitely known for their pizza. I have friends and family no longer living in the area, and when I talk with them, they can’t wait to come home and get Pizza among others.
Today is National Pizza with no Anchovies day, (REALLY) They had to throw in the anchovies…
I’m Good with NO Anchovies, Thank you!! Do you like Anchovies? I don’t think Pizza joints even carry anchovies anymore? Are you ordering in tonight? Well today is National Pizza Day!! What is your favorite Pizza Joint? Please share!!
NATIONAL PIZZA WITH THE WORKS EXCEPT ANCHOVIES DAY
National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day is celebrated annually on November 12. Pizza with all of your favorite toppings, on the crust style of your choice, is on the menu as you, along with people all across the country, celebrate this day.
Anchovies are a family of small, common salt-water forage fish. Classified as an oily fish, there are 144 species found in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans. Anchovies are small, green fish that have blue reflections caused by the silver longitudinal stripe which begin at the base of the caudal fin.
Traditionally, anchovies are processed in a salt brine and then packed in oil or salt resulting in a strong, characteristic flavor. Optionally they may be pickled in vinegar giving the anchovies a milder taste.
- In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese which some believe is the beginning of the “pizza”.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα”, pita, meaning pie.
- A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans.
- The modern pizza had it’s beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the surroundings of Naples.
- It was estimated that the annual production of pizza cheese in the United States in 1997 was 2 billion pounds.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 and was in New York’s Little Italy.
- Pizza has become one of America’s favorite meals.
Whether your pizza is thin crust, hand tossed, thick crust or deep dish, top it with all of your favorite toppings (excluding anchovies) and use #PizzaWithTheWorksExceptAnchoviesDay to post on social media.