|Warmer temperatures, melting snow, and heavy rain may set the stage for flooding all throughout Chicagoland! Don’t worry, there are preventative measures you can take today to minimize the risk of flooding in your home, and Four Seasons is here to assist you!
Flood Prevention Tips:
- Test Sump Pump and Battery Backup: Using a five gallon jug of water, fill the sump pump until it triggers the device. Once the water drains, you can reassure yourself that this essential equipment is operating appropriately.
- Clear Drains of Any Debris: Blocked drains will cause a backup and flooding in the home.
- Remove Any Snow Build-Up from the Foundation: Make sure to shovel away any snow in contact with the home’s walls, windows, and doors to prevent water intrusion.
- Check Downspouts: When the snow melts, the water must have somewhere to deposit. Make sure there is a clear area for the downspout to drain by chipping away any ice blockages.
Flood Safety Tips:
- Electrocution: Standing water should not be walked in if there is still power in the home. Water is an excellent conductor of electricity and could cause serious injury.
- Gas Leaks: If your furnace or hot water tank have taken on water in a flood, they should not be used until they have been properly inspected by a certified professional. Any standing water can quickly erode components within the appliances and cause a gas leak within the home.
- Bacteria: Flood water often contains harmful bacteria. If the flood water must be traversed (after the power is deactivated) be sure to wear high rubber-soled boots to minimize contact with the water itself. Afterwards, be sure to wash any skin that may have come into contact.
- Mold Growth: After the flood water is removed from your home, the damp areas left behind create the perfect environment for mold growth.
Black vs. Clear Water Backup
When your sewer drain backs up, the appropriate response varies depending on the color of the water seeping through.
- Black: This is sewage and results from a clog in the sewer line. A Four Seasons plumber will be able to rod this line to keep the sludge moving.
- Clear: Oftentimes, clear-water backup is the result of an overflow in the city’s main line. With such a large influx of water all at once and numerous sewer drains clogged with snow, the city may not be able to manage the water immediately. Allow the city a chance to catch up; if the backup persists overnight, it is likely a clog in the line.
Tips Moving Forward:
- Install a Battery Backup: The majority of sump pump failures are caused by power outages. Give electrical independance to your sump pump and ensure the system is operational at all times with a battery backup.
- Elevate Your Hot Water Tank: By raising your hot water tank several inches off the ground, you can reduce the risk of your system intaking water.
- Clean Gutters: As spring progresses and the snow thaws, it will be important to ensure all water drains properly. By clearing the gutters of debris, any rain or thawing water will be redirected away from your home and foundation appropriately.
We’re Here if You Need Us!
In case of a plumbing emergency, our licensed plumbers are ready 24/7 to assist you. Please do not hesitate to call should the need arise.